This programme is essential for all new teachers, whether starting a teaching career in a CofE school or community school. The recent OFSTED RE research report and the ECT framework are clear on the essential nature of subject knowledge CPD. RE is often a subject that teachers feel less confident teaching and this 2-year rolling programme of CPD will improve both RE subject knowledge and confidence. There is also the opportunity to complete gap tasks for a short self-study course through Teach RE.
Year A (2021-2022):
Why RE? Thursday 18th November 3pm – 6pm
- A rationale for RE.
- Why is this important subject on the curriculum so misunderstood?
- What is your worldview?
- What are the pupils’ worldviews?
- How is RE taught locally?
- Ideas and pedagogy to support you as you begin to teach RE.
Subject Knowledge: Teaching Islam and Christianity, Thursday 28th April 3pm – 6pm
- What do pupils need to know by the end of Primary school about these religions.
- What resources are available to support your teaching?
- Strategies to support you to teach about key Christian and Islamic concepts in the primary school.
Year B (2022-2023):
The intent of the RE curriculum (Date tbc 22-23)
- What is the intent of RE in the curriculum? In your school?
- What are effective teaching and learning strategies to implement RE in my primary classroom?
Subject knowledge in RE/Religion and worldviews (Date tbc 22-23)
- This session will explore different religion and worldviews taught in primary RE as well as looking at the effect our own biases can have on our teaching.
- What do you need to know about different religions and worldviews to teach in the primary classroom? With a focus on Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and non- religious worldviews this session will improve subject knowledge and share knowledge rich teaching and learning strategies.
Fee* per year: £40 / £120 (per school not per attendee)
ECT’s are also encouraged to access the following recorded webinars:
- What does it mean to work in a CofE school, optional follow up Q&A – 17th January 4pm – 5.00pm
- Exploring Children’s Spirituality, optional follow up Q&A – tbc
Links to these will be available in first part of the autumn term.
*Lower fee is for schools that sign up to the DBE Partnership Agreement
Did you attend this course?
Click on the link below to access the resources