This programme is essential for new governors and for those who have been in post for a while and have not accessed DBE training for a while and would benefit from refreshing their knowledge of what it means to be a governor of a church school. This course will give you the firm foundations you need to carry out your role effectively as well as networking and discussion time with other governors in the diocese.
These sessions will be led by the Deputy Director for Education and Fiona Moss from RE Today along with a serving SIAMS inspector.
This is for ANY governor or a church school not just Foundation Governors.
Group A – 6th December 2023 & 28th February 2024
Group B – 19th March 2024 & 12th June 2024
Part 1 – Church Schools, Ethos & RE
During Part 1 you explore:
- What a church school is (and is not!)
- How the DBE can support you in your role
- What makes a church school different
- Ethos and the importance of a Christian vision
- How you can support your school in its church school distinctiveness
- The aims of RE in CofE schools and how you can monitor this
- The resource ‘Understanding Christianity’ used in schools
Intercessional Work: Participants will be given resources to explore their learning in their own school and have an opportunity at the start of Part 2 to share will other governors.
Part 2 – SIAMS & Collective Worship
During Part 2 you will explore:
- Your learning from the intercessional task
SIAMS (Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools) and your role in the inspection
- The importance of school vision in the inspection
- What Collective Worship looks like in a CofE school and your role in monitoring it
Fee*: £125 / £250 (fee is per school not per attendee)
*Lower fee is for schools that sign up to the DBE Partnership Agreement
Did you attend this course?
Click on the link below to access the resources