School Appeals Panel Members
Would you like to volunteer to be a member of our school admission appeals panel?
Leicester Diocesan Board of Education hear appeals from selected schools across Leicestershire and we are looking for new panel members to join our team.
This role would be perfect for you if:
– you have excellent listening skills and can put people at ease
– you can make balanced decisions based on the evidence and available information
– you want to become involved in an important, impartial service provided to parents and schools
– you may have experience as a school governor, member of staff or be part of the wider school or church community
About the Role
An Independent Appeal Panel hears from parents or carers who have been refused admission to their school of choice. This is an essential service which supports schools and families across Leicestershire to ensure hearings are fair and independent.
In-year appeal hearings are usually held once a month with additional appeals being heard in the summer term for the next school year. Each appeal hearing will last around 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the case, with up to eight hearings being held on one day; along with a briefing session and a decision meeting for the panel.
This is a flexible role with volunteers being able to select which dates they are available for in advance.
Experience and Skills
It is not essential to have experience in education, as all appeal panels must consist of a mixture of Lay Members and Education Members:
• Lay Members are people without personal experience in the management or provision of education in any school (except for experience as school governors or voluntary roles in education).
• Education Members are people with experience of working within education.
We are looking for people who are good listeners, have good communication skills and feel confident in making clear decisions.
Full training will be provided.
Appeal hearings are currently taking place virtually but will soon return to in-person hearings in our office based in St. Martin’s House, Leicester.
Lunch will be provided for full day hearings and travel expenses can be claimed.